TipTop Builders have been asked to completely redo the outdated kitchen extension roof in Twickenham TW2. The idea was to bring more natural lighting into the kitchen and dining room and to install a roof that will last for ages. The scope of the completed jobs is:
- Installation of GRP Fibreglass Roof
- Two large Velux windows installation
- One sun tunnel installation
- New roof insulation.
- New ceiling and spotlights to the kitchen and dining room
- Decoration works on the whole ground floor.
2. Flat Roof Construction
We install double joists for all Velux windows and sun tunnel, reinforce existing joists with noggins and joists hangers. To achieve the required slope of 1cm for every 60cm builders nail firrings on all roof joists.
3. Insulation and OSB boards
It is time for Earthwool 200mm insulation to go between joists. Then we use 18mm T&G OSB boards to deck the roof. It makes sense to apply pipe insulation on pipework to eliminate a chance of heat loss and condensation. Once it is done TipTop Builders fit Velux windows upstand with carbon steel self-drilling screws.
4. Fibreglass Mat and Base Coat
Make sure OSB boards are dry and clean. Builders cut and nail raised edge and facia GRP trims, external and internal corners. Then we mix the base coat with hardener (taking into account surface temperature and required amount), cut and fit reinforced fibreglass mat with GRP CURE IT base coat. Usually, 2 or 3 mixes required. Working time about 30 min, so we had to work fast to minimise wastage of materials. For small and medium-size roof two builders are advisable to carry on the task.
- Topcoat GRP fibreglass
- Rainwater Gutter pipes
- Velux windows glass installation
- Lead Flashing and apply Patination oil
- Plasterboard fitting on the ceiling
- Spotlights installation
- Plastering and making good
- Painting ceiling, walls and woodwork